At Grand Wailea, our commitment to environmental sustainability is integrated into everything we do. We treasure our island community and play our part to conserve its natural resources by implementing resort-wide water-saving, solid waste reduction, and energy-saving measures.
Our Green Programs
Food and Beverage
- More than 90% of the produce and products from our restaurants are sourced from local farms
- 75 local vendors supported by food and and beverage and spa offerings
- All cooking oil is recycled as biodiesel
- All scraps and leftover food are recycled and provided to local Maui farmers for animal feed
- 100% of food and beverage establishments have switched to nonplastic packaging
- 0 single-use plastic water bottles on property
- Drought-resistant plants indigenous to Hawaiʻi planted throughout resort, resulting in low-water landscaping watered through drip-sprinkler system
- Green waste recycled into compost
- Utilization of Rain Bird Maxicom sensors to detect rain, reducing water usage
- Nearly 30 native plant species growing on the grounds
- 45,000 pounds of food waste diverted from landfills to Puna Farms to use as feed for their animals
Guest Rooms and Meeting Spaces
- Temperature controls, motion detector lights and LED lights in all guest and meeting rooms.
- Steam generator exhaust heat redirected to laundry hot water system
- Commercial glass crusher allows for greater use of recycled glass
- $161,000 gifted to nonprofits in 2021
- 300 employees participated in volunteer efforts
- $1 million invested in water-saving measures
- $4 million invested in energy-saving programs
- 6 million kilowatt-hours of energy saved each month - enough to power about 12,000 homes on Maui each month
Other Green Initiatives
Our Green Gifts to Others
Over 10,000 soaps, lotions and other products are donated to local Maui schools, shelters and first-responders.
In a 2020 partnership with Clean the World, Grand Wailea recycles its soap and bathroom amenities as part of the #soapsaveslives movement, participating in wash programs that prevent diseases through handwashing to improve global health.
Our Green Investment
Grand Wailea has invested nearly $1M in smart water-conservation measures, enabling the resort to save 202,671 gallons of water daily.
Grand Wailea has invested more than $4M in smart energy saving measures, enabling the resort to save more than 6 million kilowatt hours every month.
Grand Wailea has…
- Eliminated 823k lbs of carbon dioxide emissions
- Reduced the need for fuel oil by 396 barrels
- Prevented 130k lbs of plastic from entering Maui’s environment (projected for 2020)
- Generated 6,250 gal of biodiesel annually from recycled cooking oil, equating to Hawaiʻi having to import 104 fewer barrels of oil
- Recycled 150k lbs per month — or 1.8M lbs per year — of food scraps into animal feed for local Maui farmers, saving them nearly $20k in grain costs annually
- Recycled over 10 tons of green waste every month into compost and soil amendments
- Reduced electricity needs by 60% by switching to CFL light bulbs
- Saved 700 lbs of paper towels every two months through reusable wash cloths
- Reduced electrical consumption by 55% annually with refrigeration-evaporator motors and fan